For this week’s quiet snapshots post we went to visit James’ brother in Carlton. I seem to get in these moods which I just feel like taking more artsy nonsense photos lately so here is Carlton at night.
Less artsy but how good is frozen yoghurt?? I am obsessed right now, mostly because the one in Emporium has some kind of jelly pudding that looks like dolphins and is delicious :D
The tv and I have had our differences over the years. Mostly because it’s the only thing which was left in our apartment which was black so it seemed to suck light into it. Last year I gave it a washi tape make over but it still wasn’t exactly what I wanted so I set out again this year to finally be done with it.
This time I went all out and used actual paint.
White acrylic paint
Final colour, I used mint wall paint
Start by masking off the screen of the tv and any other places you want to keep the paint away from.
Mix up a solution of 1 part white paint to 1 part PVA glue in a bowl. The PVA glue will help the paint adhere to the smooth tv surface. You will still need to be careful as you go though because it is slippery.
Use the roller to paint thin coats of white until it’s totally opaque.
You’ll end up with something like this. Be careful to keep the coats very thin especially when you go over the speaker holes so you don’t clog them up!
I have no idea what I was watching on tv while I was doing this… but that face wtf?
Leave it to dry completely, preferably overnight so there’s no chance of taking the base coat off when you paint the next colour. Then just go right over the top with the mint. I did the details with a paint brush and managed to slip and paint the screen. Luckily it wiped right off *_*
Once it’s all dry, carefully remove the tape.
So much happier with this!
I didn’t have enough paint to do the back but I’m very happy with this now!
It’s been a really long and rough week, hence the lack of posts. So today, to ease back into some calmness, I wanted to show you my favourite hat.
If you read often, you will have seen me wearing it a whole lot because it’s comfortable, has the perfect amount of slouch and is generally just awesome!
I had the idea in my head for a gradient hat using the colours of Autumn leaves for a while and when we went to Bendigo last year I found the perfect yarn for it so had to get started.
The pattern I used was this one but I modified it to have 2 rows of entrelac per colour.
Entrelac is basically a weaving pattern where you knit each of the sections in one go and then switch to the other direction by picking up stitches along the previous side. It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is…
Overall, the most difficult part of the hat was the end because it closes down into like 4 stitches to make the stem and I really need to get some smaller double pointed needles for closing off hats.
It took me about a week to get through it knitting a few hours a night so it’s a fairly easy project.
Of course, with changing colours so much the inside looked like this. I HATE weaving ends in. This made me reconsider making another one of these >_>
Blurry photo after weaving all of those fricking ends in.
I think this is pretty much the perfect size and shape for my head :D
It’s been pretty long week between visitors, James’ birthday and a whoooole lot of work things. I will write about it all properly but for now… let’s just have some quiet catching up photo time and decompress haha!
So earlier this year I got it into my head that I wanted to collect flowers, press them and make resin jewellery with them. Results on the resin jewellery were mixed but more on that later because today is all about flower pressing!
I collected my flowers from a random park we did some filming at out on the East side of town. I tried to get a variety but I ended up sticking with a lot of daisies because they’re my favourite.
Cut a piece of baking paper double the size of the flowers you’re pressing and fold it in half.
Lay the flowers down and make sure they don’t overlap. If they do overlap they will get stuck to each other and you won’t be able to get them apart easily.
You may need to smoosh them down with your fingers to get them to lay the way you want them.
Fold the baking paper over the flowers so they are completely covered and press gently so the flowers lay nice and flat.
Transfer the baking paper into the middle of a book. I didn’t have any thick books so I just used a stack of thin ones with 1-2 layers of flower sinside.
Stack the books somewhere out of the way. If you don’t think they are heavy enough stack something on top, I used a subwoofer from the TV.
Leave them for at least a week. I was very impatient and kept peeking inside but it really did take a week for them to dry properly. Apparently you can speed it up by using your oven/microwave but I think it’s nicer to have something to look forward to!
So one week later…
Smooshed and lovely!
The small detailed flowers worked a lot better than the bigger ones.
And all kinds of others:
After gently removing them from the paper I put them in some tupperware and left them overnight to completely dry out.
This was a really fun project and really just the start because now you get to decide how to use the dried flowers :D